boilermake n stuff

Matthew Newton mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 22:15:20 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:37:33AM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Matthew Newton wrote:
> > After that, it now breaks compiling as follows:
> >
> > $ make
> > LINK build/bin/radiusd
> > build/lib/.libs/rlm_smb.so: undefined reference to `mdfour'
>
>   Wild.  That code hasn't been used in a LONG time.

OK, having done some digging, that makes a lot of sense.

>   It worked at one point.  Magically, perhaps.

Found it - the file 'src/modules/rlm_smb/md4.c' was removed in
5791f8641df010 - Fri Sep 19 14:38:32 2003!

It's a direct copy of the md4.c from the source of that code at
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/

Adding it back in again (and to all.mk) makes it all build fine.

>   My guess is that we should just remove the module.  I don't recall
> anyone ever using it.

Given the fact that it's unlikely to have been built since 2003,
and that there are warnings of remote root exploits all over the
source web page (above), then removing it is likely best.

I'm guessing that as it isn't listed in modules/stable, it's just
never been built until now.

I've sent a pull request to remove it; feel free to cancel that
and put md4.c back if you prefer!

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4 at le.ac.uk>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp at le.ac.uk>