Use of libtool && libltdl

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 13:12:55 CEST 2012

On 09/02/2012 09:51 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:
>    I've wanted to get rid of these for a while.
>
>    It's 2012, so all sane platforms have dlopen().  That means we can get
> rid of libltdl.

Yeah, libtool is vile +1 kill it.

One thing to note: if at some point we want to build FR as a native
windows app, it will be necessary to move the server core into a DLL.
This is because DLLs cannot load symbols in EXEs in Windows. libtool
sort of "handles" this for you, so if we kill it we'll need to handle it
ourselves.

But TBH that shouldn't be hard; the EXE would just be a stub that called
the server entry point in the DLL.