dhcp_options xlat with ERX-Dhcp-Options

Peter Lambrechtsen peter at crypt.co.nz
Mon Apr 15 21:46:53 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 15/04/13 09:20, Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>> On 04/14/2013 10:56 AM, Peter Lambrechtsen wrote:
>>
>>  to complie without too much drama onto FreeRadius 2.1.12 as that's the
>>> version we are running due to it being supported by RHEL 6.3.
>>>

>> FWIW I think this is a misguided approach. We run RHEL and use their
>> supported packages where appropriate, but where we need a newer version
>> of the package (FreeRADIUS, bind, exim, etc.) we build it ourselves.
>>
>> You don't *have* to use their packages, but if you insist on doing so,
>> you should harrass *them* to backport fixes you need - you are, after
>> all, paying them for this service.
>>

> Sorry, just to clarify - you should *also* harass RedHat. It's fine to ask
> here, but it's important that paying customers give suppliers feedback as
> to their needs.

I thoroughly agree with you bugging RedHat.  I've already had a few patches
applied and supported by RH, so this will just be another one.

I also agree that we should build and run the latest and greatest stable
release.  However our change management and operational support folks look
on that somewhat differently than I do.  Once FR has been in place in
production for a bit longer and has a proven track record in my employer
then I am sure they will see it differently.  It's just when you're trying
to get through production readyness gates and end to end solution designs
get reviewed sometimes tough questions get asked.

RH were more than happy when I gave the patches on a plate including their
updated RPM spec file that builds fine to add it into their supported
version.