IPv6 support

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 22 15:40:37 CEST 2013

On 22 Jul 2013, at 14:15, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 21/07/13 12:36, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> The server has IPv6 support in terms of it can send and receive
>> RADIUS packets with IPv6, but lacks support in some modules which
>> assumed NAS-IP-Address and Framed-IP-Address would always be IPv4.
>>
>> Do people have a preference for the default SQL schemas whether
>> fields like NAS-IP-Address are modified to take either an IPv4 or
>> IPv6 or whether we use distinct fields? The same goes for
>> Framed-IP-Address and Framed-IPv6-Prefix.
>
> Distinct, particularly the Framed-* attributes - dual-stack clients are going to be very common.

Ok.  So we'll use a combination of NAS-IP-Address/NAS-IPv6-Address and Framed-IP-Addredd/Framed-IPv6-Address to identify NAS and clients.

If users have issues with this, they can always remove on the attributes in authorize.

> There might also be cases where the IPv6 Framed-* attributes are multi-valued, but I think that's going to have to remain site-specific for the time being - it's unclear how that will pan out in common use-cases.

Ok. That would be difficult to implement. In SQL especially. So maybe we'll just stick with single values for now.

It may be helpful to have control attribute which, when present, gets used in preference to attributes in the request.

Then administrators could identify the instance of the Framed-IPv6-Prefix they wanted to use to identify the device and:

update {
	control:Framed-IPv6-Prefix := %{Framed-IPv6-Prefix[x]}

FreeRADIUS Development Team