Python libraries

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 00:04:18 CEST 2013

On 07/23/2013 08:52 PM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Anyone have an idea about what the 'm' suffix is on some python
> libraries? e.g. libpython3.3m.so

It signals that it was built with pymalloc. I believe other letters are
possible, to indicate other build-time options e.g. debugging compiled
in, unicode width. The idea, if I understand it correctly, is to allow
more than one installation of the same version of python with these
different build-time options, and this is achieved with the namespacing
symbol ("m" in this case)

IIRC the python binary and all the modules link against the 3.3m.so and
the "libpython3.so" is a tiny stub that does nothing.

I assume you are using python3-config [--cflags|--libs] to get the
various compiler flags back; I guess if you want to permit people to
build against >1 installed python, you will want a:

--with-pyconfig

...and they can always run:

./configure --with-pyconfig=/usr/bin/python3.3mabceud-config

;o)