Build ideas

Bill Schoolfield bill at billmax.com
Thu Jul 25 16:55:54 CEST 2013

On 7/25/2013 8:48 AM, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2013, at 14:14, Bill Schoolfield <bill at billmax.com> wrote:
>
>> We can't distribute FreeRadius w/o GPL-ing our entire package.
>> Anyway I don't think that's not particularly pertinent (I should
>> not have mentioned it).
>>
>> On a client's host I think I'm leaning towards installing the
>> freeradius rpm, then during our install process, "layer in" the
>> needed files (to build and install our module). That way we don't
>> have to build out a entire radius instance on our build machines.
>>
>> Any thought to including the necessary src files so folks can build
>> their modules from a rpm distro?
>
> Ok what src files do you actually need, the debian package at least
> installs enough of the FreeRADIUS headers to be able to build
> modules.  I believe John Dennis was talking about creating a
> freeradius-devel package which does the same (for 3.0).

I could be wrong but I didn't see headers, make files, etc. in the
freeradius centos rpm.

> You don't need any more than that surely? Or is there some weird
> legal thing i'm missing about linking against the FreeRADIUS
> libraries?

Again, Sorry I brought up the licensing issue. But the history here is
we have steered clear of distributing GPL software. There is some room
for interpretation in the areas of combined works...

Looking at the license, it looks like some of our reservations are no
longer applicable.

Anyway, what I was really asking is there a better way to build our
module without having to start from the src tar ball?

The one idea I had was to compile the module during our install process
using the rpm installed freeradius.

Does that help explain my original question?