Hard column wrap

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 19 15:01:09 CET 2013

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> For years the official maximum line length in the FreeRADIUS has been 80 columns. There was no real reason for this other than to satisfy our project leader's nostalga for VT100 displays.

  Well... not *just* VT100.

> Deeply nested sets of logic are still considered harmful, and yes
>
> we (still,
>       have,
>       to,
>       use,
>       this,
>       retarded,
>       argument,
>       alignment,
>       scheme);

  Yes.

> egyption braces for
>
> if (conditions) {
>
> }
>
> one true brance for
>
> functions ()
> {
>
> }

  Yes.

> switch (es)
> {

  No... the brace goes on the same line as the switch statement.

> for (lo; oo; ps)
> {

  Same here.

  I *loath* the fanatical whitespace model of:

	if (a)
	{
		stuff
	}
	else
	{
		other
	}

  Half of my screen is taken up by brackets.  If you can't figure out
what code belongs where from the indentation alone, you shouldn't be
programming.

> all (arguments, must, have, a, space,  or
>       newline, after, the, comma or semicolon)

  Yes,becauseIhaterun-onsentences.They'retoodanghardtoread.

  (see?)

> if (braceless)
> 	alan_will_beat_you_with_sticks;
> else if ((assignment = nested)