More magic

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 20 13:48:36 CET 2013

Olivier Beytrison wrote:
> Indeed. Works very well when you do it manually :)
>
> Now for an unknown reason, when trying to build the debian packages, I
> get weird errors once the ./configure is over :

  Yeah... I saw that on the travis build system.  I'll try to reproduce
it here.

> /usr/bin/make
> make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/src/FR3/repositories/freeradius-server'
> AUTOCONF src/modules/rlm_counter/
> /opt/src/FR3/repositories/freeradius-server/missing: 46:
> /opt/src/FR3/repositories/freeradius-server/missing: autoconf: not found
> WARNING: `autoconf' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `configure.in'.  You might want to install the
>          `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them from any GNU
>          archive site.

  I hate the GNU tools.  You don't run autoconf.  You run a magic
"missing" script.  Which succeeds if autoconf doesn't exist.

  So you can't make the build rule dependent on having autoconf, and you
 can't fail the build if autoconf fails.  <arg>

> When looking at the config.log in rlm_counter [1], I get the following
> error :
>
> cc1: fatal error:
> /opt/src/FR3/repositories/freeradius-server/src/freeradius-devel/autoconf.h:
> No such file or directory

  Ah... that can be fixed.  It's just a dependency.

> We discussed with Arran and we plan to "re-build" the debian build
> system from scratch to fit with the change in 3.0. But in the mean-time
> it would be nice that the old system still works.

  I'll go poke it.

> If we find why it won't build, i'll push a patch to correct most issue
> with the current debian build system.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Olivier
>
> [1] config.log

  Yeah.. it's an order thing.  The build has progressed far enough so
that the "Make.inc" file exists, which has an IMACRO flag.  But it's not
far enough for the src/freeradius-devel file to be created.

  I'll go create a dependency for that, which should fix the problem.
I'll also see if I can have the "configure" dependencies check for
autoconf existing.