New feature in v3: cast!

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 13 17:43:46 CEST 2013

Brian Candler wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 09:16:31AM -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> I don't think we can guarantee non-overlap between attribute names and
> enumerated values though. Example:

  Hmm.. I didn't see that.

> In fact, I think it would be sensible to *require* unquoted literals on the
> RHS to be enumerated values.

  That's pretty much what happens now.  The LHS is required to be an
attribute reference (mostly).  The RHS is then interpreted in the
context of that attribute.

> (*) There are also a ton of DHCP attributes where there is an attribute and
> a value with the same name, although I'm not sure how these attributes are
> supposed to be used anyway.  e.g.
>
> ATTRIBUTE       DHCP-ARP-Cache-Timeout                  35      integer
> VALUE   DHCP-Parameter-Request-List     DHCP-ARP-Cache-Timeout  35

  The parameter request list is a way of saying "Please send me
attribute X".  So the attribute names and enumerated values *are*
identical.  As are the values.