DHCP issues in v3

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Oct 11 16:56:55 CEST 2013

On 11 Oct 2013, at 13:31, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> Matthew Newton wrote:
>> Finally got around to trying DHCP this evening. A bit late to hit v3 I'm
>> afraid, but I've unfortunately been too busy to spend much time looking at
>> FreeRADIUS recently. I figured I'd get it to act as a simple DHCP server for my
>> network, and try and put together a simple HOWTO. Or at least, I would have
>> done if I'd got that far ;-)
>
>  Well, debugging is good, at least.
>
>> Next - with as above, and also "interface = br0". This time, no warning about
>> unicast only, but it still didn't see the broadcast packets.  This doesn't
>> surprise me entirely, as I've specifically set an IP address, but there is no
>> warning.
>
>  IIRC, it's an issue with bridges.  As always, the server is at the
> mercy of the OS.  It asks the OS for broadcast packets.  If the OS
> doesn't send them...
>
>> Next I have "ipaddr = *" and again commented out the interface option (not
>> expecting it necessarily to work - the warning appears again). This works fine
>> until FR tries to send a reply, and we get a segfault.
>
>  Arran just committed a fix for that.

Not quite, I will do though. My fix was to use the appropriate VP type for chaddr. If chaddr is 6 bytes the Client-Hardware-Address attribute gets created as type ether, and used as type ether, else it gets created as type octets and used as type octets.

This ensures the attribute gets printed correctly when it looks like a ethernet address, and processed correctly when it's something that's not.

FreeRADIUS Development Team