Suggested improvement to connection spawning info

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Aug 6 18:39:22 CEST 2014

On 6 Aug 2014, at 12:04, Chaigneau, Nicolas <nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com> wrote:

> In function fr_connection_spawn (src\main\connection.c), the following INFO message is logged:
>
> INFO("%s: Opening additional connection (%" PRIu64 ")", pool->log_prefix, pool->count);
>
> The value logged is the number of times a new connection has been spawned on that pool.
> What could be interesting (at least to me) would be to also show the current number of connections, and the number of busy connections.
>
> So, what do you think of something like :
>
> INFO("%s: Opening additional connection (spawned: %" PRIu64 ", num: %d, active: %d) ", pool->log_prefix, pool->count, pool->num, pool->active);

I agree it's useful to report the number of connections in use, as it tells the admin whether
the spawning is just to keep spares in the pool, or whether traffic has ramped up hard, and
we need a connection *now*.

In fact the *now* case should probably be a WARN, as it's likely the server is about to start
failing to process requests.

	WARN("%s: %i of %i connections in use.  You probably need to increase \"spare\"",
	     pool->log_prefix, pool->active, pool->count);

Anyway... added. See what you think.

FreeRADIUS development team