Why freeradius-config in debian packaging

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Aug 29 10:25:07 CEST 2014

On 29 Aug 2014, at 05:32, Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:

>    Alan> Sam Hartman wrote:
>>> I notice that the configuration files were split out into
>>> freeradius-config from freeradius-common.
>
>    Alan>   That's Arran's change.  The idea is to separate the
>    Alan> *default* configuration from the local *edited* configuration.
>
> so, is the idea that if I have my own local config I might not install
> freeradius-config at all?

Yes, you roll your own local config package, and manage the versioning
independently of the server packages.

Could you explain why it breaks upgrades?

We never intended the version 2 packages to be upgraded to version 3,
that won't work, the configurations are not compatible.

There's not really a sane way to 'upgrade' configurations once they've
been customised. I know debian packaging prevents customised config files
from being overwritten, but it still installs new config files added to
the default packages from the upstream source.

This is annoying for administrators who like to strip down the default
config to only the files they're using, as upgrades introduce cruft
back into /etc/raddb.

FreeRADIUS development team