Why freeradius-config in debian packaging

Sam Hartman hartmans at mit.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:58:04 CEST 2014

    Alan> That's Arran's change.  The idea is to separate the *default*
    Alan> configuration from the local *edited* configuration.
    >>
    >> so, is the idea that if I have my own local config I might not
    >> install freeradius-config at all?

    Arran> Yes, you roll your own local config package, and manage the
    Arran> versioning independently of the server packages.

OK, makes sense.

    Arran> Could you explain why it breaks upgrades?

If you upgrade across the split, even if you just accidentally install
2.x and never change anything, you get file conflicts because files
moved from one package to another without replaces and conflicts being
declared.

Based on what you're trying to do it's a very simple fix, and really an
issue I only need to care about on the Debian side, because for a fresh
install of 3.x it won't be a big deal.

--Sam