Compound problems with 3.0.10 build

Sam Hartman hartmans at mit.edu
Wed Dec 2 19:45:11 CET 2015

Hi.
I've been having trouble building 3.0.10.  I traced it down to a couple
of badly interacting things.

IN 2b77b7e830222d0192f42efe66cae38f061aa34c two all.mk files were
introduced in directories that have an all.mk.in.
I don't understand why that commit is a good idea as configure will
generate those files.

Unfortunately, if building from git, it's very easy to get into a
situation where make things the files are out-of-date immediately after
a fresh configure.  So as part of make it will try and reconfigure those
files.
So because we checked in all.mk files we end up building them twice
instead of 0 times.
Oops.

Except it's worse than that because of the logic in makefile for getting
configure_args.

If you run configure like so,

./configure LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/moonshot/lib
-Wl,--rpath=/usr/local/moonshot/lib'

Then the logic for extracting the configure arguments misses the
interior quotes.
So you end up rerunning configure like
./configure LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/moonshot/lib
-Wl,--rpath=/usr/local/moonshot/lib

and that second configure line doesn't work as well as you might hope.

I think extracting configure_args from the  AC_CS_CONFIG setting in
config.status might work much better.

--Sam