Minor but fun changes today

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 11 21:52:14 CET 2015

On Feb 11, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Matthew Newton <mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Is there any reason why the server can't keep track of the average
> size of the last <n> requests, and dynamically adjust the amount
> of memory it allocates for the request pool?

  It’s harder.  My $0.02 would be to do a debug build which has that instrumentation.  But I don’t think it should be there in a production environment.

  It’s 2015.  Just spend another $25 and put more RAM into the system.  FreeRADIUS already uses near-zero RAM.  So having it use a little bit more isn’t a problem.

> But maybe it's just overcomplicating things. Worst case you don't
> want the situation that most requests go 10 octets over 32k - so
> some debug or similar to tell the admin this has happened would be
> useful.

  It’s a configuration option which will confuse most people, TBH.  Just set it to a reasonably large value, and ignore it.  The *worst* things that will happen are:

a) too large pool: the server will use a little more memory than before

b) too small pool: the performance will go down a little bit over a larger pool size