Error: Cannot update core dump limit

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Wed Jul 13 14:06:41 CEST 2016

Alan DeKok wrote on 2016-07-07 14:38:
>> but FR uses setrlimit() with rlim_max=0, and you can only lower
>> rlim_max, but not raise it (unless you have the CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
>> capability). I don't know what the call setrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE,
>> {rlim_cur=0, rlim_max=0}) is good for...
>   If you have given it the capability, you can get core dumps.

And how would you suggest I should do that? freeradius is started as
root, so the capability is there at start time.

As I wrote, the code explicitely sets the hard limit for the core size
to zero, so there is no chance for the unprivileged freeradius user to
raise them again. Why is the server doing that??