Error: Cannot update core dump limit

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 13 16:46:03 CEST 2016

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 10:28 AM, Jakob Hirsch <jh at plonk.de> wrote:
>
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote on 2016-07-13 15:17:
>>> but FR uses setrlimit() with rlim_max=0, and you can only lower
>>> rlim_max, but not raise it (unless you have the CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
>>> capability).
>> OK... So there's probably an issue there.  Could we get the stack trace so it's clear what logic is being executed.
>
> Sure:

  This code is run before the configuration is read:

	{
		char const *panic_action = NULL;

		panic_action = getenv("PANIC_ACTION");
		if (!panic_action) panic_action = main_config.panic_action;

		if (panic_action && (fr_fault_setup(panic_action, argv[0]) < 0)) {
			fr_perror("Failed configuring panic action: %s", main_config.name);
			fr_exit(EXIT_FAILURE);

  Note that main_config.panic_action will always be NULL here.  Because it hasn't read the configuration files yet.

  The solution is to have an "initialization" function which is separate from the "do work" function.