3.1.x release...

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 27 15:40:43 CEST 2016

On Oct 27, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Stefan Paetow <Stefan.Paetow at jisc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Given that v4.0.x has been thrown on the floor and will be rewritten from
> ground up

  Not entirely... the modules will stay the same.  The unlang code will stay the same.  I'm just re-writing the networking / threading layer.

> (and it won't know about RADSEC et al for a while), is it
> sensible to do a 3.1.x point release at some point so we have something to
> move to that includes some under-the-hood improvements compared to v3.0.12?

  At this point, if you need the features in v3.1., just use the v3.1.x branch.  It's stable, and used by many people in production.

  The only advantage to a "blessed" release is that it goes into OS distributions.  The disadvantage of a blessed release is that it goes into OS distributions for years and years and years and years, and doesn't get upgraded.  Ever.

  We just don't have time / bandwidth to support people using v2, v3, v3.1, and v4 all at the same time.  Especially because the OS vendors have made it clear they just don't give a shit about their customers, and refuse to (a) upgrade to a recent release, or (b) support their own paying customers.

  If the OS vendors upgraded in a timely fashion, it would be easier to do v3.1.  But it would still be difficult, and we'd probably still skip 3.1.