[freeradius 3.0.14] Issue on close and reopen file at reload

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Aug 24 10:56:16 CEST 2017

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 15:57, Geaaru <geaaru at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I installed yesterday version 3.0.14 but I found a strange issue.
>
> I configured my server to use linelog module to trace radius packets
> but I see only now that when is called reload (SIGHUP) for logrotate
> linelog continue to write on moved file and not correctly file.
> While on correct log I see classic message
>
> Thu Aug 24 09:54:37 2017 : Info: Received HUP signal
> Thu Aug 24 09:54:37 2017 : Info: HUP - No files changed.  Ignoring
>
> linelog module continue to write to old file.
>
> This means that when old file is compressed on next logrotate
> freeradius server go in SEGFAULT.

Well it obviously shouldn’t SEGV.  Where does that happen exactly?

> Linelog module write a lot of message so could be a concurrency problem
> on handle SIGHUP but this issue is not present on previous installed
> version 3.0.8.

Yes I think older versions reopened the FD on every write.  I don’t think there’s any internal mechanisms to distribute signals.

Maybe that’s a bit of a major change for v3.0.x. What’s the core team’s opinion an implementing an extra method for modules to deal with SIGHUP?

-Arran