Current status of freeradius v4

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 24 13:11:20 CEST 2019

On Jul 24, 2019, at 5:02 AM, Jan-Frederik Rieckers <rieckers+freeradius-devel at uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> I'm currently trying out the current master build at my university for
> eduroam authentication and have discovered some errors/difficulties
> (e.g. mschapv2 failed when only NT-Password and no LM-Password was
> supplied, Issue #2799).

  That's been fixed.

> Currently, I don't know if it is helpful to create a github issue for
> each issue I'll find, so I just wanted to ask here:
>
> Whats the current status of Freeradius 4? Is it still under heavy
> development and bug reports will just increase the background noise or
> is the current master supposed to be somewhat stable and issues will help?

  It's still under heavy development.  That being said, some specific builds are in production use at large Telcos.  But the daily builds may or may not work perfectly.

  For bug reports, it's fine to submit a detailed bug report saying "this should work, but it doesn't work".  With debug output, steps to reproduce, etc.

  We've gotten a few bug reports from people who are surprised that v4 doesn't work the same as v3.  Those reports are closed as "not a bug, RTFM".

> Two issues I'm currently dealing with:
> * Proxying RADIUS-Requests (freeradius 4 send out Access-Rejects when
> received a Access-Challenge from the home server)

  That seems bad.  The rlm_radius module was tested with proxying, but not with Access-Challenge packets.

  In the short term, you can over-ride this with policies.  When running the RADIUS module, do:

	radius
	if (updated) {
		update reply {
			Packet-Type := Access-Challenge

  I'll try to push a cleaner fix today.

> * Linelog module (reply:Packet-Type seems to be empty, Debug output
> tells me not to use Response-Packet-Type)

  Hmm... it should only complain there if you're actually using Response-Packet-Type.  What does the full debug output say?

  We're using linelog all over the place, so it should work.