Authentication problem

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Thu Aug 4 18:21:44 CEST 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Hamid Salim wrote:

> >  radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
> >  radutmp: perm = 384
> >  radutmp: callerid = yes
> > Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
> > Listening on authentication *:1812
> > Listening on accounting *:1813
> > Listening on proxy *:1814
> > Ready to process requests.
> >
> Dusty's response:
> You need to figure out why your NAS is not sending radius packets to the
> radius server.
>
> Check your network connections, your firewall rules, etc..
>
> My question:
> i am not using NAS (as i understand) also i am not using Radius
> accounting. I am trying to use FreeRadius solely for authentication.
> what is check_with_nas = yes used for? do i need to change this???

I was using NAS in the generic sense.  You are using a radius client that
should be sending radius authentication to the radius server.  However,
either its not sending that auth to the server, or its being blocked by a
firewall, or it can't route to it do to your network setup.  That's all
I'm getting at.

Regardless of accounting or not, you aren't seeing radius packets hit your
radius server.  That's where the problem is.  Check_with_nas has nothing
to do with it.

A tcpdump on the radius server could tell you if perhaps you are sending
packets from your radius client to port 1645 of the server, but you have
radius setup to listen on port 1812 on the server.  Other than that, the
problem is somewhere on your network or in a firewall rule.