Multiple Password Prompts

ragan_davis at colstate.edu ragan_davis at colstate.edu
Fri Aug 5 04:04:14 CEST 2005

As I'm troubleshooting this, I generated another question in my head.
This time I'll give some freeradius debug (see blocks
between "*********"):

Here's an exerpt from first try (failure):

rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for anonymous
radius_xlat:  '(cn=anonymous)'
radius_xlat:  'o=sometree'
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: performing search in o=sometree, with filter (cn=anonymous)
rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
rlm_ldap: user anonymous authorized to use remote access
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for request 4
modcall: group authorize returns updated for request 4
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type EAP
auth: type "EAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 4
  rlm_eap: Request found, released from the list
  rlm_eap: EAP/ttls
  rlm_eap: processing type ttls
  rlm_eap_ttls: Authenticate
  rlm_eap_tls: processing TLS
rlm_eap_tls:  Length Included

*********
  eaptls_verify returned 11
  rlm_eap_tls: <<< TLS 1.0 Handshake [length 0086], ClientKeyExchange
    TLS_accept: SSLv3 read client key exchange A
  rlm_eap_tls: <<< TLS 1.0 ChangeCipherSpec [length 0001]
  rlm_eap_tls: <<< TLS 1.0 Handshake [length 0010], Finished
    TLS_accept: SSLv3 read finished A
  rlm_eap_tls: >>> TLS 1.0 ChangeCipherSpec [length 0001]
    TLS_accept: SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
  rlm_eap_tls: >>> TLS 1.0 Handshake [length 0010], Finished
    TLS_accept: SSLv3 write finished A
    TLS_accept: SSLv3 flush data
    (other): SSL negotiation finished successfully
SSL Connection Established
  eaptls_process returned 13
**********

  modcall[authenticate]: module "eap" returns handled for request 4
modcall: group authenticate returns handled for request 4
Sending Access-Challenge of id 186 to 192.168.3.2:1024

Here's an exerpt from the second attempt (success):

rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for anonymous
radius_xlat:  '(cn=anonymous)'
radius_xlat:  'o=sometree'
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: performing search in o=sometree, with filter (cn=anonymous)
rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
rlm_ldap: user anonymous authorized to use remote access
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for request 5
modcall: group authorize returns updated for request 5
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type EAP
auth: type "EAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 5
  rlm_eap: Request found, released from the list
  rlm_eap: EAP/ttls
  rlm_eap: processing type ttls
  rlm_eap_ttls: Authenticate
  rlm_eap_tls: processing TLS
rlm_eap_tls:  Length Included

***********
  eaptls_verify returned 11
  eaptls_process returned 7
***********

  rlm_eap_ttls: Session established.  Proceeding to decode tunneled
attributes.
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 5
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 5
rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for doe_john

I looked back through some of the output, and it seems that each time
it fails I get "eaptls_process returned 13", but when it is succeeds I
get "eaptls_process returned 7".  Anyone know what 7 and 13 represent
(please don't say 'sucess' or 'failure'...i'm hoping it more
meaningful than that).  Also, anyone know what the rlm_eap_tls
messages mean that accompany the 'returned 13' block?

Thanks for any help!