Newbie: General Questions About Installation

Marcin Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Sun Aug 7 20:16:01 CEST 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:05:50 +0100
A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I'm attempting to get my hands around installing FreeRadius-1.0.4 on a
> > Debian Linux machine while also trying learn Linux better.  I've been
> > reading through all the various documentation, but had a few general
> > questions that I was hoping someone would be so kind to reply on.

Install FreeBSD, go to /usr/ports/net/freeradius and simply type make install clean
Voila, all you need including dependiences will be automatically installed on your system.
Or if you wanna go for a BSD wannabe in the Linux world, use Gentoo, there you just type emerge freeradius and you get the same result as on BSD.
Dealing with Debian you either get outdated applications or pretty unstable system, depending of the Debian branch you may want to use.
Please keep in mind this is my subjective opinion based on my long time experience.
And BTW, the version you are trying to install is also outdated and with known security issues.

Cheers,
Marcin Jessa.