Newbie: General Questions About Installation

Kris Benson kbenson at sd57.bc.ca
Mon Aug 8 17:20:25 CEST 2005

August 7, 2005 at 11:16 -0800 wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 15:05:50 +0100
>A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I'm attempting to get my hands around installing FreeRadius-1.0.4 on a
>> > Debian Linux machine while also trying learn Linux better.  I've been
>> > reading through all the various documentation, but had a few general
>> > questions that I was hoping someone would be so kind to reply on.
>
>Install FreeBSD, go to /usr/ports/net/freeradius and simply type make
>install clean
>Voila, all you need including dependiences will be automatically
>installed on your system.
>Or if you wanna go for a BSD wannabe in the Linux world, use Gentoo,
>there you just type emerge freeradius and you get the same result as on
>BSD.
>Dealing with Debian you either get outdated applications or pretty
>unstable system, depending of the Debian branch you may want to use.
>Please keep in mind this is my subjective opinion based on my long time
>experience.
>And BTW, the version you are trying to install is also outdated and with
>known security issues.

Dude!  He's trying to install the most recent version: 1.0.4... While I
would agree that FreeBSD is generally a better choice than any Linux
variant, YMMV.

You are right about outdated packages -- the Debian Freeradius package is
v1.0.2... and comes without EAP-TLS and anything that requires it.

-kb
--
Kris Benson, CCP, I.S.P.
Technical Analyst, District Projects