[solution] Received unexpected tunneled data after successful handshake

Waba waba at waba.be
Thu Aug 18 23:16:26 CEST 2005

Hello,

I was stuck for a bit on this error message before finding the solution,
so I thought I'd share and get it into the list archives for future
reference.

Context: Trying to get WindowsXP 802.1X supplicants to be authenticated on
a FreeRADIUS server. After a successful TLS handshake, the

 rlm_eap_tls: Received unexpected tunneled data after successful handshake

message would appear and abort the process.

The solution is in http://www.freeradius.org/doc/EAPTLS.pdf - the client
and server certificates must contain an Enhanced Key Usage. Look for
"-extensions" in the generation script, and for the "OpenSSL extensions
file" section.

Taking this into account and regenerating the client & server certificates
worked for me.

I hope it helps,
-Waba.