802.1x and LDAP

Cian Phillips cian at cca.edu
Fri Aug 19 19:54:19 CEST 2005

Sorry,

I should have mentioned the pages I have already tried to follow.

http://www.bughost.org/ipw/docs/freeRadius_configuration_HOWTO.TXT
http://www.kevan.net/cisco_freeradius_tls_peap_auth.php
http://mattzz.dyndns.org/twiki/bin/view/Projects/
FreeRadiusAuthentication
http://www.missl.cs.umd.edu/wireless/eaptls/
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2004-June/
033143.html
http://vuksan.com/linux/dot1x/802-1x-LDAP.html#Set_up_OpenLDAP
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~omar/wireless/work_freeradius.html#freeradius
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/8021X-HOWTO/

With each of these I still have the problem where the Access-Request
packet doesn't contain a User-Password attribute. I am guessing that
there is something very fundamental that I am not understanding..
like "there isn't supposed to be a User-Password attribute coming
from the AP" but if that's the case then I really don't understand
how we authenticate against the LDAP directory without a password.

I have tried a bunch of different "how-to's" and haven't had any
success.. if someone could say they were certain that one of them
worked that in itself would be a great deal of help.

I guess I should also mention that I have searched the list for
"rlm_ldap: Attribute "User-Password" is required for authentication."
and some other permutations of that string but didn't find anything
that seemed especially conclusive or applicable.. The problem is that
I'm not sure I would know if I saw it.

Again my apologies for trying to get up to speed in a couple of
hours.. and many thanks for attempting to help me find a solution.

Cian Phillips
Director Network & Systems
California College of the Arts
Phone: (510) 594-3745