build problem - mysql header files not found

Ben Dowling bendowling at lineone.net
Tue Aug 23 17:14:08 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am having a problem building freeradius-1.04 on linux. I have
installed mysql 4.1.10 but when running make it bails out complaining
that mysql.h and errmsg.h cannot be found. The files can be located in
/usr/local/mysql/include.

As a hack I copied these files into the corresponding build directory
and I also added /usr/local/mysql/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf but the build
bails out saying a mysql library cannot be found.

Searching on the net it seems that these problems are a result of
mysql-devel not being installed, but I don't believe this package exists
for mysql 4.1.10, as the header files and libraries are included in the
standard package. Do I need to set some enviroment variables to get this
to work, or am I using an incompatable version of mysql?

Thanks in advance,

Ben