Configuring freeRADIUS and NAS

Madhuraka Godahewa maduraka at electroteks.com
Wed Dec 7 19:31:22 CET 2005

Hi All,

First of all, let me thank for all those, who helped me to configure the
freeRADIUS server. I have installed freeRADIUS 1.0.5 recently and configured
it. I tested the server using RADIUS Test Client utility from IEA Software and
it works well (both for authentication and accounting).

Then, I configured a LinkSys WRT54G as a NAS and I configure it to make use of
the freeRADIUS server to authenticate users. Now I can connect to the network
using an XP Supplicant through the LinkSys WRT54G after authenticating through
the RADIUS server (using PEAP).

Now, I have a problem with the Session-Timeout attribute. With the Access-
Accept packet, I send the Session-Timeout and Terminate-Action attributes to
the NAS, but the NAS does not terminate the session as specified in the Session-
Terminate parameter. And the NAS does not send any Account-Start or Account-
Stop packets to the RADIUS server.

Is this a problem with the configuration of the NAS or is it a limitation of
the NAS? Have any body tried using LinkSys WRT54G as the NAS to do RADIUS
accounting? I use the orginal firmware, which comes with the WRT54G.

Thanking You.,

Madhuraka Godahewa
Telecommunications Engineer
Research and Development Unit