After the manual's config, chap wont work with LDAP

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Fri Dec 16 07:23:46 CET 2005

Hi all,

We've got our freeradius servers working with LDAP fine, except for
CHAP.  Originally, the logs were saying "Invalid user \\user", but we
fixed that by enabling an option in radiusd.conf.

Now, when we dial up without encrypted password enabled, the connection
comes through successfully.  However, when we enable the encrypted
password option and try again, we get:

Thu Dec 15 18:12:52 2005 : Auth: Login incorrect (rlm_ldap: empty
password supplied): [username/] (from client 123.123.123.123 port 3088
cli 2125550404)

Its saying the password is empty, but we are indeed using a password.

Does anyone have any ideas?  We've followed the instructions in the FAQ
(CHAP above LDAP in the authorize section, no := Auth-Type, etc.).....
it just doesn't seem to want to recognize that a password is being entered.

For the record, no query hits the LDAP server during a CHAP
authentication...... so its obviously something with the config of
freeradius.

Thanks for any help!

-Matt