Plain text password file

Alexander Lund lund.alexander at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:47:09 CET 2005

On 19/12/05, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Alexander Lund wrote:
> > Can somebody explain howto use rlm_passwd and a textfile with this
> setup:
> > name:password:group
> > and so on
> > the order can be any way around, spaces can also be present.
>
> Wait: Are you saying that the file you *supply* freeradius may have
> spaces in it? That won't work, fix the file (it's not hard). Assuming
> that's not what you mean, and a format of:
>
> username:unixCryptPassword:ASingleGroupName
>
> ...then this should suffice:
>
> modules {
>    passwd user_pass_group {
>      filename = /path/to/file
>      format = "*User-Name:~Crypt-Password:~Group"
>    }
>    pap {
>      encryption_scheme = crypt
>    }
> }
>
> authorize {
>    preprocess
>    user_pass_group
> }
> authenticate {
>    Auth-Type PAP {
>      pap
>    }
> }
>
> ...it's so trivial I assume you need more than this. Are you having a
> specific problem? If you want to use other schemes such as chap, you may
> need the plaintext password, for example:
>
> for username:plaintextPassword:ASingleGroup
>
> modules {
>    passwd u_g_p {
>      filename = /path/to/file
>      format = "*User-Name:~User-Password:~Group"
>    }
>    pap {
>      encryption_scheme = clear
>    }
>    chap {
>    }
> }
> authorize {
>    preprocess
>    u_g_p
>    chap
>    pap
> }
> authenticate {
>    Auth-Type PAP {
>      pap
>    }
>    Auth-Type CHAP {
>      chap
>    }
> }
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

No, the file I supply could have spaces if you needed it to solve my
problem.

This is just the thing I need:
username:plaintextPassword:ASingleGroup

Its perfect, but I´d like to know exactly what Im doing so heres another
question,
The passwordfile. If Im not thinking completly wrong it shouldn´t have any
headers or a fileextension

And do I have to use Chap? or can I use PAP with plain text passwords.

Thanks for the help. If you come to sweden I will buy you enough beers to
make you regret coming here ;)

--
When there is no solution, there is no problem.