Acct-Unique-Session-Id changing mid-session?

Roger Kristiansen roger.kristiansen at cc.uit.no
Mon Jul 4 16:23:08 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm working on a script for parsing some freeradius log files and
getting them into a database, and I've noticed some (to me) strange
behaviour. It looks like a few sessions change Acct-Unique-Session-ID
mid-session. What I see is that there is issued a "Acct-Status-Type =
Start" entry and a few "Alive"-entries, before the
"Acct-Unique-Session-Id" field suddenly changes, seemingly out of
nowhere, and more "Alive"-entries keep coming with this new ID. This
while the user is the same, there has been no new "Stop" and/or "Start"
entry, and the "Alive"-entries enter the log at the correct times (15
min. apart). The MAC addressand IP-adress are also the same over all
entries. Is this a known issue or some easily explainable behaviour?

As far as I know, the server is running version 0.93.

I'm sorry if this mail is a bit lacking in technical detail, but I'm not
very familiar with RADIUS at all. If some some essential technical info
is missing, please tell me, and I will get it from the administrator. :)

Regards,
Roger Kristiansen