Service-Type: Outbound vs. Outbound-User

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Sat Jul 9 16:58:03 CEST 2005

Gerald Krause <gk at ax.tc> wrote:
> do not misunderstood me: i'am not using "outbound" because of faith in
> cisco. not at all :). i use it because it looks rfc conform - the examples
> from cisco only second that.

  Please go back and read what I wrote in my first response.

  The names are IRRELEVANT.  The dictionaries matter only to the
RADIUS server and it's configuration files.  I could rename all of the
attributes & valuess to random words from the dictionary, and it would
make *no* difference to the clients.

> it was my fault that i stumbled again over this (because i have done the
> appropriate dictionary modifications more then once in the past) but this
> time i asked myself (and afterwards the list) for the rfc-standard...

  Many, many, attributes and values in FreeRADIUS have slight
differences from the RFC's.  Many implementation decisions in
FreeRADIUS do not follow the RFC's, either.

  On a positive note, it looks like FreeRADIUS will be referenced in
an upcoming RFC.  Some decisions made by Raghu a while back which
didn't follow the RFC's ended up being better than the RFC suggestions.