rlm_ldap: Attribute "User-Password" is required forauthentication

Kris Benson kbenson at sd57.bc.ca
Fri Jul 22 17:24:58 CEST 2005

>"melvin" <melvin.wong at muvee.com> wrote:
>> Sorry as I am not an expert in radius but if I do not set "Auth-Type =
>LDAP"
>> how do I ensure that the authentication goes thru ldap.
>
>  LDAP is an authentication server?  That's news to me.
>
>> All the users have their passwords stored in ldap and therefore I
>> hope to utilise the ldap to do the authentication.
>
>  LDAP is a database.  Let FreeRADIUS read the passwords from LDAP,
>and have FreeRADIUS do the authentication.
>
>  FreeRADIUS is an authentication server.  LDAP is not.

Hi Alan, Melvin,

LDAP does provide some authentication -- through the 'BIND' statement.
Incidentally, this is how the FreeRadius rlm_ldap module chooses to
authenticate against an LDAP entry... it attempts to 'bind' to it, passing
the username and password to LDAP.

I have successfully integrated FreeRadius & LDAP -- I can get you my
config entries if you would like.  It worked with OpenLDAP practically
out-of-the-box.

-kb
--
Kris Benson, CCP, I.S.P.