Configuring maximum number of password attempts

Dustin Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Fri Jun 3 02:56:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 Martin.Ward at uk.neceur.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using freeradius to talk to an OpenLDAP server to validate passwords.
> This all works fine and dandy. If the user enters the right password they
> get in, if they enter the wrong password the don't.
>
> However, I can't find a way of locking out the user if they enter an
> invalid password three times in a row. I've trolled through the LDAP stuff
> but can't find anything in there. Is there a way I can create a password
> policy  to do this?

If you are just doing a bind to the ldap server for authentication, then,
I think openldap is working on a password policy overlay that might get
you what you want.  I believe its only working on non-production versions
right now.  Not positive about that, but I remember a similar question to
this in their mailing list.  You may want to post your question to the
openldap mailling list or search the archives of it.