eDirectory backend with FreeRadius

Fahim fahimdxb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 10:37:36 CEST 2005

Having spent whole last fortnight trying to configure Freeradius module
given here with LDAP Agent running on my eDir8.7.3.6 on Netware 5.1,
using iManager 2.5, I am almost there but seemingly stuck with something
vital. Ihave done everything as mentioned by Novell Admin guide posted
on this Forge project here:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?edirfreeradius

My Freeradius is running on SuSe Linux Machine with iManager 2.5
installed for managing Radius users and Universal passwords. I can do an
LDAP browse from there and connectivity is OK. Using a third Win2K  for
testing Radius connectivity. Had some problems configuring TLS/SSL
connection to LDAP server so hashed (start_tls=no) in radiusd.conf. I
don't mind secure or insecure connection between FreeRadius and LDAP Agent.

My main concern is here:(Excerpted from console log)
------------------------------------
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host
194.170.15.100:1089, id=28, length=46
User-Name = "test04"
User-Password = "test04"
Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok
for request 4
modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for
request 4
modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for
request 4
rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "test04", looking
up realm NULL
rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for
request 4
rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for
request 4
users: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 153
modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for
request 4
rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for test04
radius_xlat: '(uid=test04)'
radius_xlat: 'o=euc'
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: performing search in o=euc, with filter
(uid=test04)
rlm_ldap: no dialupAccess attribute - access denied by
default
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns userlock
for request 4
modcall: group authorize returns userlock for request 4
Delaying request 4 for 1 seconds
Finished request 4
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 28 to 194.170.15.100:1089
Waking up in 4 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 4 ID 28 with timestamp 42aaceb3
Nothing to do. Sleeping until we see a request.
After hashing access_attribute = 'dialupAccess'

So, When I restarted the Radius Server:
Listening on authentication *:1812
Listening on accounting *:1813
Listening on proxy *:1814
Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host
194.170.15.100:1091, id=30, length=46
User-Name = "test04"
User-Password = "test04"
Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok
for request 0
modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for
request 0
modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for
request 0
rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "test04", looking
up realm NULL
rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for
request 0
rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for
request 0
users: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 153
modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for
request 0
rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for test04
radius_xlat: '(uid=test04)'
radius_xlat: 'o=euc'
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
rlm_ldap: (re)connect to 194.170.15.158:389,
authentication 0
rlm_ldap: setting TLS CACert File
to /etc/raddb/cert/EUCCA.b64
rlm_ldap: setting TLS CACert File to /etc/rardb/cert/
rlm_ldap: setting TLS Require Cert to demand
rlm_ldap: bind as cn=admin,o=euc/college to
194.170.15.158:389
rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: performing search in o=euc, with filter
(uid=test04)
rlm_ldap: Error reading Universal Password.Return Code
= 80
rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
rlm_ldap: user test04 authorized to use remote access
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for
request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
rad_check_password: Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
ERROR: Unknown value specified for Auth-Type.
Cannot perform requested action.
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request

MY PROBLEM:

rlm_ldap: Error reading Universal Password.Return Code = 80

I hope it's not TLS related!!!

Consider this an SOS....Please Advise!!