monitoring active threads via snmp

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Thu Jun 16 18:55:02 CEST 2005

Tariq Rashid <tariq.rashid at uk.easynet.net> wrote:
> hi - is it possible to minitor the "active" threads via snmp? this is
> different from the pool allocated threads - most of which can be asleep /
> not awaiting a response.

  Not right now.  I don't think it should be too hard to add.  The
main concerns is few people know much about MIBs.

  We would have to:

  a) define a FreeRADIUS MIB, under it's OID space
  b) create a "statistics" struct to hold the data
  c) update the stats from threads.c (and other places)
  d) update radius_snmp.c to grab the stats

  If we're going to publish SNMP stats for threads, I would prefer
also to publish SNMP stats for as many other things as possible, too.

  e.g. memory use, cpu load, and anything else we can think of.

  But once the framework in (a-d) is there, the rest should be pretty
easy.