Installation of FreeRadius on Solaris 10

Michael Mitchell mitchell.michael at bigpond.com
Sun Jun 26 15:59:49 CEST 2005

I've had problems in the past with freeRADIUS and configure on Solaris
9. It didn't seem to always pass what it found in configure in to the
Makefiles, however it was limited to a couple of specific instances, I'm
I'm pretty sure these were patched prior to 1.0.3.

However, I just built 1.0.4 on Solaris 10 x86 using gcc, and it went
through with no problems. Haven't been back to check what actually got
built though, but Make.inc has -lssl and -lcrypto in the LIBS.

Generally Sun Freeware packages are installed in /usr/sfw. Configure
picked up my openSSL installation with no problems, however I do have
/usr/sfw/lib on my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Check where libssl and libcrypto are installed, then
Check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Check Make.inc for the LDFLAGS

If neither of these include the directory where the libraries are
installed, either adjust your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or use the

   --with-openssl-includes=DIR      Directory to look for OpenSSL
include files
   --with-openssl-libraries=DIR     Directory to look for OpenSSL
library files

options from configure to set the directory explicitly.

If that fixes the problem, good! If not, you need to dig further into
the make process where it is failing, work out why it is failing, then
work out why configure didn't configure things properly!

I'd also run a make distclean in the top level directory before doing a
configure again, so you know its not just picking up the cached values
each time.

cheers
Mike