Windows -> VPN -> Radius

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Jun 29 19:16:10 CEST 2005

Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok. I ran the server in debug mode, but it still says that the request
> is comming without Password. Specifically, the message says: "auth: No
> User-Password or CHAP-Password attribute in the request".

  Well, that's because there is no password in the request.

  How do you want the server to authenticate this request?

> in radius.conf, mschap part is as follows:
>  mschap {

  Do you see the word "mschap" in the request?  Nope.  So poking the
mschap configuration in the server won't do anything.

> In the mysql radcheck table, I tried both 'Password' and
> 'CHAP-Password' as attributes, with no diference at all in the result

  Don't set CHAP-Password.  Ever.

> One possibility I see is that there may be some wrong configuration in
> my radius.conf, since the log is saying "modcall[authorize]: module
> "mschap" returns noop for request 3". Shouldn't it say "returns ok" or
> something like that?

  If the request contained MSCHAP, yes, the mschap module should
return ok.  Since the request doesn't contain MSCHAP, the mschap
module returns noop.

  Make the client send MSCHAP, or CHAP-Password, or User-Password.  No
amount of playing with radiusd.conf will fix the client.