802.1x

Seferovic Edvin edvin.seferovic at kolp.at
Wed Nov 2 23:15:52 CET 2005

I hate quoting but

"IEEE 802.1X is an IEEE standard for port-based network access control, part
of the IEEE 802 (802.1) group of protocols. It provides authentication to
devices attached to a LAN port, establishing a point-to-point connection or
preventing access from that port if authentication fails. It is used for
certain closed wireless access points, and is based on the EAP, Extensible
Authentication Protocol (RFC 2284). RFC 2284 has been obsoleted by RFC 3748"

Says it is a standard for port-based network access control, and as far as I
know - is has nothing to do with PORTS on a user machine. by "port-based" it
is not meant the port on a user machine, but the ports on an access hardware
like a switch.

I hope I could help you out of dilemma !

Regards,

Edvin