Freeradius the right tool as Windows Authentication Proxy?

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Mon Nov 7 18:37:31 CET 2005

Thomas Stieglitz <Starglider7 at web.de> wrote:
> We're running an apache 1.X webserver, which is located at an
> external provider. My problem is, that we need to authenticate
> webusers against our Windows 2000 Active Directory, which is located
> in our companies' local network.

  I would recommend using an Apache module for this task.  Maybe
mod_ntlm, or mod_smb would be appropriate.

> 1) Is this idea a possible solution ... the right use of an radius-server? And, if yes: is freeradius the right tool for it?

  It's possible, but I don't think RADIUS is the right tool.

> 2) If yes: Is it also possible, to gain group information about a user. (i. e. Is Fred Member of Group Foo? Which groups is Fred member of?)

  Yes, but you can't use RADIUS to send that information to Apache.

> 3) if yes: how do I find an entry point for further information about this special subject?

  If the documentation doesn't already contain the information you
need, use google to search mailing list archives.