"Pool-Name" check item causes Access-Reject

Gerret Apelt gerret.apelt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:22:33 CET 2005

Hi List,

My setup: Debian Sarge (2.6.8)
Debian package freeradius-mysql 1.0.5-2
FreeRADIUS Version 1.0.5, for host , built on Oct 16 2005 at 11:56:56

I am successfully authentiating dialup users with Freeradius; the
users live in a MySQL db. Their IP addresses are assigned by a Patton
RAS's internal pool. I want to take this task away from the RAS and
have Freeradius ippool take over. Associating a pool with a user is
causing that user's access request to be rejected wher it worked
before.

Following the docs, I have the files db.ipindex and db.ippol set up,
and the main_pool is configured in radiusd.conf. user 'gerret' is the
gunea pig with the following radcheck table entries:

| 1354 | gerret   | User-Password | == | testpw  |
| 1491 | gerret   | Pool-Name     | == | main_pool |

Now here's the tail of two "radtest gerret testpw localhost 0 testing123" runs:

1) With row 1491 not present:

 modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns ok for request 2
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 2
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type Local
auth: type Local
auth: user supplied User-Password matches local User-Password
Login OK: [gerret] (from client localhost port 0)

2) with boths rows present:

rlm_sql (sql): No matching entry in the database for request from user [gerret]
rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 3
  modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns notfound for request 1
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 1
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Login incorrect: [gerret/testpw] (from client localhost port 0)
Delaying request 1 for 1 seconds
Finished request 1

I have tried setting explicit "Auth-Type = Local" in an additional
radcheck item to no avail. All mysql queries return the same data in
both cases.

*cry for help*

thanks guys

Gerret