Value of Calling-station-id on ethernet

Guy Davies Guy.Davies at telindus.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 21:20:24 CEST 2005

If you're doing 802.1x authentication, then it will be the MAC.  The
supplicant may not even have an IP address when it communicates with the
NAS (the ethernet switch) if it is configured for DHCP.

If you're logging into the CLI of a device configured to authenticate
using RADIUS, then I would not necessarily expect there to be a
Calling-Station-Id.  If there were, I'd expect it to be the IP address,
since the communication between the remote client and the network device
is all via IP.

I can't think of any other reason for an Ethernet switch to make a
RADIUS request.

Rgds,

Guy