Logging question

Dusty Doris freeradius at mail.doris.cc
Fri Oct 14 06:29:42 CEST 2005

> Currently I'm using the mysql logging functions of FreeRADIUS and I'm
> logging two different things:
>
> Dial-up customers that log in with just their username (username)
> DSL Customers that log in with user at domain (username at domain.com)
>
> I'm wondering, how would I get it so that both log the same way, that
> is, just username, not the suffix @itol.com.  Any advice would be great!

Are these the same users?  For example bob is the same as bob at itol.com?
Is that the only domain you serve?  If so, use the hints file to
automatically change the username for you.  This was recommended by Alan a
few days ago for a similar question on the list.

in hints

DEFAULT	    User-Name !~ ".*@"
 	    User-Name := "%{User-name}@itol.com"

That will rewrite bob to bob at itol.com, if its doesn't contain an @.  Then
they could do either.

However, if you plan on supporting more domains in the future, then I'd
start getting them used to @domain now because it will be even more of a
struggle if you need to make them start using it later.  Plus with an
@domain on the username you leave yourself open to more options with
realms, proxying, etc..

I am close to finally converting everyone to use realms as our services
and domains using radius have grown quite a bit.  Having realms makes it a
lot easier for us, especially that we now have a dozen ISPs running over
our lines.  Its been a struggle, especially getting marketing/customer
service to let me do it.

However, if you don't need realms and probably never will, that config
entry will do exactly you need.

-Dusty Doris