client configuration via postgres in version 1.0.1

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Fri Oct 14 17:30:48 CEST 2005

Yes, it is possible, at least in 1.0.5. My nas list is in MySQL. The DB
table columns are in a fixed sequence and referred by
position and not by name. The nas identifier must be either a DNS
resolvable name or IP address or
IP Address/netmask, e.g. 200.100.100.0/255.255.255.0.
I only have 'client 127.0.0.1' in my clients.conf file.
Unfortunately a change in the SQL nas table will only be active after
restarting freeradius and is not dynamically
after adding/updating the nas table.

You can assign the name of the NAS table in sql.conf (if you chose not
to use the default name).
e.g. nas_table = "my_nas" and you have to set:
# Set to 'yes' to read radius clients from the database ('nas' table)
         readclients = yes

Debug output:
Debug: rlm_sql (sql): - generate_sql_clients
Debug: rlm_sql (sql): Query: SELECT * FROM nas
Debug: rlm_sql (sql): Reserving sql socket id: 4
Debug: rlm_sql_mysql: query:  SELECT * FROM nas
Debug: rlm_sql (sql): Read entry
nasname=my-resolvable-name-or-IP,shortname=moin,secret=whatever
Debug: rlm_sql (sql): Adding client 192.168.0.244 (moin) to clients list

Gunther