FreeRadius and PostgreSQL for a prepaid solution

Erik Ågren erik.agren at scandinavianbilling.com
Mon Oct 17 08:21:06 CEST 2005

Hi all

I have a couple of questions that I hope you guys can answer:

I have to use radius for a prepaid solution. The soft switch is going to
send radius authentication
messages and accounting messages. My idea is to use FreeRADIUS with
PostgreSQL. So my first question is
if that's a good idea for a prepaid solution with real time billing involved
to use these two?
I will save both the accounting information and the user info in the
postgreSQL database. But not all
user info, mostly of it will be stored by the billing system, for instance
the balance info. The user
info in the postgre database is mainly used to route the user to the right
billing base.
Does the described solution seem to be a good one? Or should it be done
differently?

Another question is about authentication-request message. On the
authentication-request I will get the
following attributes:

	NAS-IP-Address
	Calling-Station-Id
	Called-Station-Id
	Service-Type
	Acct-Session-Id

The attribute used for authentication is just the Calling-Station-Id. This
gives a problem, the rlm_sql doesn't permit
An Authentication Request without the User-Name and Password attributes. And
as far as I can se there is
Something that is hardcoded in the C code. If that is right I'll need to
make the changes and recompile it?
Or is there another solution on this?

In the response to the the Authentication Request I have to send the
calculated maximum call time
Based on the Called-Station-Id and the user's balance. So before sending the
response I have to execute
something that calculates this. How can that be done in the best manner?

Thanx

/Erik