PEAP MS_CHAP V2: problem with tunnel attributes on enterasys V2 switch

slapeyre at free.fr slapeyre at free.fr
Fri Oct 28 16:40:05 CEST 2005

Hello,
I am new to this list and would like to know if someone out there
has been successfull in implementing eap-PEAP user authentication
and  VLAN assignment with freeradius and Enterasys V2 switches ?

It wasn´t a problem to configure EAP-PEAP with freeradius server (running on
suze) and Enterasys switches.  I already use it for client authentication but I
had no success with switch/port based authentication and VLAN assignment at a
enterasys switch.

The users and their RADIUS attributes are on LDAP base on a Novell server
(version 6.5)
I know from reading our enterasys notice that the switch expects the following
parameters within access_accept
"tunnel-type= 13 (VLAN)"
"tunnel-medium-type=6 (802)”
"tunnel-private-group-ID=vlan_id"

but with no success. I didn’t see the attribute on FreeRADIUS LOG.
I have put a sniffer machine between the FreeRadius Server and the Novell
server, but I didn’t see any Tunnel attribute.

In fact, I don’t know:
- if  the switch don’t receive the tunnel parameters
- OR if  the switch don’t understand the tunnel parameters it is receiving

Any tips ??
Is it necessary to active or configure something on FreeRADIUS to use tunnel
parameters ???
thank you in advance.

Best regards

Stephane