Timezone support

Gunther freeradius at caribsms.com
Mon Oct 31 01:48:23 CET 2005

I'm using FreeRadius 1.0.5 with MySQL 4.1.10. I am looking for a solution
for timezone support over several timezones.

There are probably several ways of doing this:
1. Set server with FreeRadius to the particular fixed timezone e.g. GMT 2.
Set MySQL to a fixed timezone (my.cnf timezone= ...) 3. others ...

Where are timezones used:
- System
- MySQL
- PHP Application
- FreeRadius

I do not like to change the server timezone as other applications are using
the same server.
Same thing for setting MySQL to a fixed timezone, which is not my normal
timezone, as other applications are using other DBs on the MySQL server.

I thought I can use the MySQL session specific timezone settings, but I do
not see anyhwere a place where I can set that in FreeRadius. I can set
everything in PHP, but when it comes to radacct updates from a NAS ... I
only have the MySQL specific timezone. It looks like that FreeRadius is
always using the System specific time and does not care about the MySQL
timezone settings.

My goal: I like to have all radacct date&time in e.g. GMT and then convert
in my application to the NAS specific timezone.

Right now I can only achieve this by setting the MySQL timezone to GMT and
ALL DB's are then in that timezone.
Or I run a separate instance of MySQL with different port to do this?

Any thoughts?
Is there maybe a variable in FreeRadius telling to store time information in
another timezone? Do I have to switch from MySQL tp Postgresql

... there are probably many people using FreeRadius with NAS' spreaded over
several timezones.

Thx!