Mixed-mode authentication enviornment

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Sep 7 23:59:25 CEST 2005

Daniel Corbe <daniel.junkmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the SIP server requires DIGEST authentication, the Auth-Type
> attribute is present and it is set to DIGEST which forces FreeRADIUS
> to attempt a digest authentication.  Once this fails an Access-Reject
> packet is sent back to the RADIUS client

  You don't say who's setting Auth-Type.  In the example config, the
"digest" module sets it.  If you're setting it yourself, there's a
high likelihood that something will go wrong.

> Is there a way to configure FreeRADIUS so it first attempts a DIGEST
> authentication, and when that fails, we go ahead and attempt normal
> authentication?

  No.  That doesn't make sense.

  There IS a way to configure the server to try digest authentication
only when the RADIUS packet contains digest attributes.  Uncomment the
lines referring to "digest" in radiusd.conf.