undefined reference 'md4_calc' compile error...

Harris Christian D SSgt 1 CS/SCBAM Christian.Harris at langley.af.mil
Mon Sep 12 20:46:57 CEST 2005

I am trying to build freeradius-1.0.5 on my NSLU2 running openembedded.
Believe me when I say it is and has been a hard road. I've managed to
fix the openssl install. I now have the openssl headers that were MIA. I
managed to fix the libtool. I can now build libraries that use libtool
-mode=link **** -lresolve -ltdl -lthreads and such without errors. I
even modified all the Makefiles to include '--tag=thisisjunk' that could
not be inferred and had to be specified. It seems like I am running into
every problem out there trying to install the server.

I have been able to successfully fix them all by myself, but now I stuck
with this...

gcc -I../../include  -o smbencrypt smbencrypt.o smbdes.o
../../lib/libradius.a

smbencrypt.o: In function `ntpwdhash':

/home/slug/freeradius-1.0.5/src/modules/rlm_mschap/smbencrypt.c:60:
undefined reference to `md4_calc'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [smbencrypt] Error 1

The line in question from smbencrypt.c read as follows:

md4_calc (szHash, szUnicodePass, (nPasswordLen<<1) );

and the #include "md4.h" defines the md4_calc function as:

void md4_calc (unsigned char *, const unsigned char *, unsigned int);

I not really much of a programmer, but this looks right to me. I'm at a
loss as to why this won't compile.

I've read postings on how other people fixed this. And they are all in
some foreign programmer language I don't understand.

What is it I'm messing up here?