chap authentication failure

dilip simha nmdsimha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:10:59 CEST 2005

Alan DeKok wrote:

>dilip simha <nmdsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>i have problems using chap with my radius server(FreeRADIUS Version
>>1.0.4). please help me out..
>>
>>my users file on radius server:
>>
>>simha   Auth-Type := CHAP , CHAP-Password == "hello"
>

>  This is wrong.  Use "User-Password := ...", not "CHAP-Password == ..."
>
>  Alan DeKok.

hi alan,

i used User-Password := ..... itself..... still i get this error.

 rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type CHAP
auth: type "CHAP"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
  rlm_chap: login attempt by "simha" with CHAP password
  rlm_chap: Using clear text password  for user simha authentication.
  rlm_chap: Pasword check failed
  modcall[authenticate]: module "chap" returns reject for request 0
modcall: group Auth-Type returns reject for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.

.......i wonder..why chap is using clear text password instead of md5.
----i went through the source code and there in
srs/modules/rlm_chap/rlm_chap.c i can see that md5 encryption is going
on...but
display message says that it uses clear text password!!! is this of
any concern here?

Dilip Simha